By Christian Kennes, Maria C. Veiga
In contemporary years, pollution has develop into an immense around the world challenge. Air toxins can have an effect on metabolic job, bog down fit improvement, and convey carcinogenic and poisonous homes in people. during the last twenty years, using microbes to take away pollution from infected air streams has develop into a commonly permitted and effective replacement to the classical actual and chemical therapy applied sciences. pollution Prevention and keep an eye on: Bioreactors and Bioenergy focusses on those biotechnological possible choices taking a look at either the optimization of bioreactors and the advance of purifier biofuels.
Structured in 5 components, the booklet covers:
- Fundamentals and microbiological aspects
- Biofilters, bioscrubbers and different end-of-pipe therapy technologies
- Specific functions of bioreactors
- Biofuels creation from pollution and renewable assets (including biogas, biohydrogen, biodiesel and bioethanol) and its environmental impacts
- Case reviews of functions together with biotrickling filtration of waste gases, commercial bioscrubbers utilized in several industries and biogas upgrading
pollution Prevention and regulate: Bioreactors and Bioenergy is the 1st reference paintings to offer a huge evaluate of bioprocesses for the mitigation of pollution. basically meant for researchers and scholars in environmental engineering, biotechnology and utilized microbiology, the booklet can be of curiosity to business and governmental researchers.
Read Online or Download Air Pollution Prevention and Control: Bioreactors and Bioenergy PDF
Best pollution books
Over the past century mankind has irrevocably broken the surroundings throughout the unscrupulous greed of huge enterprise and our personal willful lack of expertise. listed here are the strikingly poignant money owed of mess ups whose names dwell in infamy: Chernobyl, Bhopal, Exxon Valdez, 3 Mile Island, Love Canal, Minamata and others.
The large-scale construction of chemical substances to satisfy numerous societal wishes has created environmental toxins, together with toxins from byproducts and unsuitable disposal of waste. With the area dealing with hostile results because of this toxins, eco-friendly chemistry is more and more being seen as a method to deal with this predicament.
Whereas chemical items are worthwhile of their personal right―they deal with the calls for and wishes of the masses―they additionally drain our traditional assets and generate undesirable toxins. eco-friendly Chemical Engineering: An advent to Catalysis, Kinetics, and Chemical methods encourages minimized use of non-renewable normal assets and fosters maximized toxins prevention.
- Contaminants of Emerging Environmental Concern
- Organic Pollutants in the Water Cycle: Properties, Occurrence, Analysis and Environmental Relevance of Polar Compounds
- Water Pollution
- Planning and Ecology, 1st Edition
- Catalysis and Automotive Pollution Control II: Proceedings (Studies in Surface Science and Catalysis)
Additional info for Air Pollution Prevention and Control: Bioreactors and Bioenergy
Denier van der Gon, M. Schaap, M. Moran, U. Nopmongcol. Comparing emission inventories and model-ready emission datasets between Europe and North America for the AQMEII project. Atmospheric Environment, 53:4–14 (2012). R. Kikuchi. Environmental management of sulphur trioxide emission: impact of SO3 on human health. Environmental Management, 27:837–44 (2001). C. C. Veiga. Technologies for the abatement of odours and volatile organic and inorganic compounds. Chemical Engineering Transactions, 23:1–6 (2010).
For some pollutants such as perchloroethylene, with four chlorine atoms, it has actually not been possible to prove any aerobic biodegradation so far, while PCE is well biodegraded under anaerobic conditions . Anaerobic biodegradation of chlorinated aliphatic compounds usually follows successive dechlorination steps, with gradual replacement of a chlorine atom by hydrogen. As an example, anaerobic PCE degradation follows the reductive dechlorination steps shown in the following pathway: tetrachloroethylene → trichloroethylene → cis-1,2-dichloroethylene(+ trans-DCE + 1,1-DCE) → vinyl chloride → ethylene/ethane The anaerobic biodegradation rates decrease stepwise with the removal of chlorine atoms.
6. 7. 8. 9. 10. 11. 12. 13. 14. 15. 16. 17. 18. H. Janssen, R. van Leerdam, P. van den Bosch, E. van Zessen, G. van Heeringen, C. Buisman. Development of a family of large-scale biotechnological processes to desulphurise industrial gasses. In: C. , editors. Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Biotechniques for Air Pollution Control . La Coru˜na, Spain: Universidade da Coru˜na, pp. 167–83 (2007). Y. Jin, C. C. Veiga. Bioprocesses for the removal of nitrogen oxides from polluted air.